Friday 5 March 2010

Question 4: Who would be the audience for your media product?




The audience I have targetted in the production of my Classical Music magazine has changed slightly from the audience I chose in my Research and Planning. I originally wanted to aim my magazine at all ages and incorporate all areas of life, this was very hard to create and seemed to not be the best idea as old and young people want different things in a magazine to attract them. I decided to choose a younger audience and cut out my target of over 30's. This gave me more freedom with the image I used and the layout of my front cover.
I think that classical music is a widely listened to genre of music so this gave me a good area to work in. My target audience is male or female, any social class, quite possibly a creator of music. I would say my audience are in the A, B and C1 area of the Jicnar scale, I don't think they are the type to be protesting and fighting for independence, they are probably very happy to work hard and listen to their classical music in peace. I think they would probably dress very smartly and be aware of their appearance at all times, this is why the smart and fresh look of my front cover would attract their attention. Smart and creative people do very often reflect this in their appearance, I have used a model dressed smartly to try and create a relationship between then reader and the magazine. Hopefully this will make them think that they could be in the place of the young composer I am portraying.
I am going to show a group of people my work and gain some feedback on it, some will be in my target audience and some will not be. This will give me a good chance to gain information on how my magazine looks to people who would not normally look at classical music magazines and also those who would.

These are the responses I had from my friends and classmates after uploading my work to the social networking site, Facebook. The people were only asked what there general opinion of the work was, so the answers are not very informative at this stage.

- "Yeah really good mate, definately think you would see this in a shop or something"

- "Very well presented and layed out, its obvious you put alot of time into the placement of your coverlines etc. The page is very minimalist but i think it encapsulates your audience well, i'm guessing the audience is sophisticated teens/young adults?
maybe you could have used a bleeding effect causing the main image to overlap the masthead, but to be honest it looks great as it is :)
"

- "It's good, very realistic for the classical music genre." 

- "Looks like a professional one! Loll x"

- "Really like the layout and colours used, would definately think about buying this Mike"

- " The image used is really good, gives a nice fresh feeling and the colours used compliment this very well. Could have included more pictures in the contents and double page spread to use more space up and make it seem like the magazine has lots to offer."

- "Really good images used, more would be good. Fonts are good and look smart, very professional look, impressive. Could have had another model to give it more variety."

From this feedback I can see that the general opinion of my magazine is good and that it is attractive to look at and I have achieved a professional look which is paramount to a magazines credibility. The negative points i can look at and take into consideration are that I could have included more images to make the magazine seem fuller and more exciting, also that I could have used more than one model for my pictures, these are useful points and most probably correct, I could improve these aspects if I was to do it again.


This is an image of someone who could be in my target audience.


These opinions and comments are very useful to me, but they are very simple and do not give me a very good impression of what people think of my magazine. I am going to be interviewing a few more people about my magazine and recording the feedback to analyse. This will give me a much better idea of how my magazine appeals to different people. I will talk to people who like classical music but have not bought the magazines before. This will be good to see if my magazine would appeal to first time buyers. Hopefully I will find out if I have targetted my audience successfully or not.


1st interview: Loz
Loz is a friend of mine who has never bought classical music magazines but does like the musical genre and would be open to reading one if he liked the look of it. He fits into my target audience.




From this interview I know that the magazine cover is pleasing to look at and could be a major part of attracting readers. Loz has picked up on my target audience being younger than expected for classical music listeners, hopefully this means I have targetted well and have included features that show this clearly. Loz has mentioned that the picture used in my double page spread could have been clearer and more focused, this is true as quality has been lost through different programs used.


2nd Interview: David

My next interview is with another friend of mine who is slightly out of the target audience. He is a regular listener of classical music. David buys a lot of music magazines regularly but has never bought one specifically aimed at the classical music genre.





From this interview I have found out that my simplistic and uncluttered approach to the magazine was received very well on first glance, this part of my research was time well spent. The target audience David thought I was going for was a much larger range from what I have actually aimed at, this could show that I have not aimed it too specifically and could be a good thing as to not alienate other groups from my primary focus. David has said he cannot think of anything that would improve my magazine which is definately a very good point for me, this shows that in his opinion I have created a professional looking piece of work which he would consider buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment